Make a Difference During the Holidays
The Holiday Season is the perfect time to rest, reflect, and give back. There are many ways to make a difference during the holidays. During the frenzy of cooking, decorating and Christmas shopping, the holidays can become an extra stressful time in our already stressful lives. However, the holiday season can also serve as a source of inspiration to give back and make a positive difference in someone else’s life. Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in all of the Holiday excitement and the long to-do lists, that we forget the reason for the season – serving and loving others.
There are always people in need all around you, and there are many ways to make a difference in someone’s life. Here are some easy ideas to Make a Difference during the Holidays:
- Volunteer your time at a food pantry or soup kitchen – there are many volunteer opportunities in every local community, especially around the holidays.
- Put together a basket of holiday treats and bring it to nurses, firefighters, policemen etc. in your community to thank them for all they do.
- Donate non-perishables to a food bank – most of us have so much more food than we need and so many go without.
- Collect toys, blankets and pet food and bring it to a local shelter or if you can, foster a dog who needs a temporary home
- Go through your things at home and donate items to local nonprofits, toy drives and clothing drives
- Write Christmas cards for children in the hospital
- Visit a nursing home and sing Christmas carols or read books to the residents
- Cook a homemade meal for the homeless
- Find coupons and put them in stores for others to use
- Pay for someone’s meal – this is an easy way to brighten someone’s day
- Send gifts to underprivileged kids around the world through Operation Christmas Child
- Sponsor a child through World Vision International
- Adopt a military family through Soldier’s Angels
- Sign up to walk or run in a charitable race HERE
- Donate to a nonprofit of your choice HERE
The Holidays are not about all the gifts and money spent; there is no price tag for investing in someone else’s life. The Holidays can be a time to focus on making a difference by showing love, kindness and sacrifice. Challenge yourself to check out the local volunteer opportunities in your community and strive to serve others this Christmas. You never know how one small act of kindness and generosity can go a long way and make a lasting difference.